Only a few shepherds and fishermen lived on the shores of Mar Menor sea when Alfonso X conquered the kingdom of Murcia in the thirteenth century (the frequent incursions of Barbary pirates discouraged a regular room and only after the conquest of Granada was a slow and delayed repopulation). Then the council depended albohera Murcia.
In 1266 Alfonso X ordered that residents of Murcia could be forced to help the farmers and fishermen of the coast when it becomes aware of Moorish landing., The attackers sent smoke signals from the watchtowers that lined up to Murcia (the tower of the church of Santa Catalina was ultimately responsible for warning the population).
Incentives and exemptions from the reign of Alfonso X raised the acceptance of some nobles and gentlemen of arms of Aragon, Catalonia and Murcia to settle in the region and dispersed into small villages that still retain their name or surname and place name of the town: Pacheco, Roldan, Pagan, etc.
Also, under these nuclei shrines were built in the early eighteenth century led to the consolidation of villages such as San Javier, near a crossroads close to the way the Romans Herculean passing through the vicinity of fat head.
The name comes from the influence on these lands had the virtue and heroism of the Apostle of the East San Francisco Javier, patron of Tourism, as these lands were repopulated, in times of Alfonso X El Sabio, by people from Navarra and Aragon, basically.
This enclave brought together the inhabitants of the villages scattered and absorbed the capital of the district, its City Council under the provisions of the Cortes of Cadiz.
When the early eighteenth century incursions declined Turkish and Algerian pirates, urban settlements became more stable. The demographic and economic resources of the region were feasible, under the Cortes of Cadiz, San Javier would serve as an independent municipality on September 16, 1836. In 1888, around the shrine of Santiago, we established the new village of La Ribera.
SANTIAGO DE LA RIBERA was founded in 1888 at the request of José María Barnuevo Fray Rodrigo de Villamayor, Knight of the Military Order of Santiago, who, from its property, Torre Mínguez, he elaborated, in an excellent and modern his time (nineteenth century), the urban layout of part of the estate, ordering it in a grid.